Tuesday, November 4, 2008

More thrills from the CTA

My bus home last night stopped on Michigan Ave. and sat for about 5 minutes. The driver finally stood up and announced that he would be running express, as usual, but not getting off the expressway at the usual exit (where I get off), but one mile beyond, as there was apparently an accident that was preventing traffic from exiting at the usual spot. I stayed on figuring it would be faster to catch another bus going back toward my house, or just walk the mile home, than wait for and take the local bus all the way. At the next stop, the driver announced he was actually going surface streets all the way. Which makes more sense, as he wouldn't miss any stops. What I don't understand is why he suddenly became a local bus, stopping at all the stops along the way? No one on the bus wanted to get off, as we all thought this was an express bus. And there was a local bus right behind us. In fact, we were passed by 3 other express buses. I appreciated that the CTA didn't have us get on the expressay and get stuck in traffic, but why can't they get their act together to do things that make sense? It took an hour to get home last night, when the ride is usually 40 minutes or less! Oh, and when we got to the supposedly closed exit, it was open, and it looked like the next exit, where they originally said they were going to re-route us to, was the one that was closed!

1 comment:

Rhaquel said...

That seems like a horrible confusing situation! I had a similar situation yesterday. They told me that they were re-routing my bus 2 block west. I walked there waited and got on the bus. I usually take the express bus to Belmont, but as a surprise it became the express to foster! I had to get off and wait for another bus to go back south :(