Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Shall I Jump Off as You Speed By?

Twice in the last week I've been on a bus with a driver who seems to have difficulties handling all that's required of a bus driver. I'm sure the job is a difficult one, controlling such a large vehicle, watching out for crazy drivers, making sure everyone pays the correct fare. However some drivers seem to forget that part of the job includes stopping to pick people up and drop people off. One driver last week blew past two stops in a row, then got upset when the people trying to get off hollered as she started to speed by a third stop. Another day, a driver on a different route twice missed different stops. Apparently driving the bus while keeping track of where the stops are is too much for some drivers to handle.

3 comments:

Rhaquel said...

I think there's two types of drivers: the positive happy ones and the bitter negative ones. Usually when that happens you got on a bus with the second group. The bitter ones always scream at people and forget stops all the time, its like a daily amusement for them!

michael said...

You're right, Rhaquel, there are at least 2 types of bus drivers.

When I'm riding, I never forget who is in charge, --me. I'm never afraid to pull the cord 3 times when I need to make a stop. I teach my daughter to shout, "Yo, this my stop, yo!" from the exit doors if she believes (for a moment) that the bus won't stop.

I am the customer. However I am much nicer if I have to put/remove my bike from the carrier in front. I think drivers have a way of ejecting and running over bikes from certain riders.

But I don't take no lip. I use Rhianna's (feat. T.I.) immortal words, "Shut up. and drive!"

Rhaquel said...

yeah Michael...that's unfortunate. I always wonder how this type of drivers don't think like the positive drivers...trying to make their job nicer and happier instead of uglier. They have an auto destructive behavior instead of thinking: how can I be happy in my job? at least I've experienced some creative drivers that make people laugh!