Monday, October 27, 2008

I must be dreaming

When the conversations at work inevitably turn to commuting woes, I often try to steer it back to current WTA standings, historical Cub's batting averages, or last night's production of The Pearl Fishers at the Lyric. Failing that, I generally fall silent. I never have much to add.

Of course, a one-hour ride on the train is accepted as routine. This is often in addition to a 15- or 20-minute dive to the station, combined with a 10- or 15 minute walk to the office. Typical.

Well, my short walk in the morning is not always as nice as it sounds. Many, many times in the years I've lived downtown, I've jolted myself awake with only 12 or 15 minutes before I need to be at work. Never one to back down from a challenge, the elevator instantly becomes my walk-in closet. A dash over the river and up Franklin, and I am at my desk just in time.

Here's the issue: my thoughts remain sleep-cloudy and dreamlike. Critical retention is impossible in this state. The coordination of typing, the act of placing a phone call, the morning mechanics of social interaction, all seem unfamiliar and require extra focus and concentration. With ambient morning temperatures, usually 58-76 degrees F, this effect is intensified.

For someone who appreciates the pleasures of lounging around, with coffee flowing and the FT Weekend ceremoniously unfurled all Saturday morning, the contrast is especially painful.

The Metra commuters just don't understand.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so as a metra commuter I hear you but I have to let you know that I pretty much don't function until about 10AM every morning because I am still in that haze as well. This is usually because I spend many mornings trying to catch some extra Zzzzzzzz's on the train. In other words, I can totally appreciate the rushed morning (I usually get ready and out the door in 30 minutes) and difficulty waking up.

michael said...

You might understand only if you felt as if 20 co-workers and assorted strangers were wandering around your bedroom.

Maybe it's me but it is highly disconcerting, and of course I promise to myself that it will NEVER happen again.

But I keep a comb and toothbrush/paste just for those times when I forget my promises.

Amy said...

Even with a longer commute than yours, I am usually not awake when I get to work, particularly now that I'm taking the bus. When I was biking, the ride usually forced me awake.

Rhaquel said...

I hate darkness. I'm not one of those early birds. Every time the day gets darker and colder I become more sleepy and dizzy. I rush like crazy to get the right bus, at the right time (6:55am), the streets are lonely and dark. I sleep all the way till I get to work and make myself the best coffee I can make!

michael said...

Rhaquel,

I sometimes don't mind the darkness so much. To wit: I have a reason to wear a hat. The dryer sheet hanging out of my collar is harder to see. A coat can hide my improperly buttoned shirt. You may have to squint to see the pillow-creases on my cheek. The list is endless. Plus, with the cold morning air, several sharp, deep breaths does wonders for those "cobwebs"!